Well, it looks like we are not going to get in this month as promised
at the start of the project. Things seem to be moving at a glacial
pace and everything that we ask about is "The last thing to
be done". The bannistairs are in, but the top rail still needs
to be fitted. The stone walll on the front of the house has been
finished and the carcasses of the kitchen units are now in position
with some of the end panels fitted. There is still a lot of work
to be done on the electrics and solar water panels as well as fixing
the roadside excavations
Looking cute amongst our flowers and chillies
The time has come to find out if we can manage to get some decent
oil from our olives this year. The goal is 1,000 litres, but that
is really just a guess at what we can manage. Thsi year we are collecting
from the pale green terraces in the diagram below. The are a good
number of olives on the trees, but not as many as in other fincas.
started collecting in the last weekend of October which is very
early in the season, but I was paranoid of having a storm knock
all the olives to the ground where they are no good for my purposes.
With the help of some Romanian friends, we managed to collect 1,200
kilos that weekend which turned into 168 litres of Extra Virgin
(0.4% acidity) oil. It was very hard work, but now we know what
we are doing and what to expect.
journey down to Soldebre for the pressing was another first. 1/2
hour each way. I'm not looking forward to the first journey in the
cold and rain.
Well for a couple of days, but that is better than nothing.
finally, our tractor (Mr. Pink) is now officially twinned with Romania
and more specifically, the area around Beius which is where our
friends Florin & Ramona and their families come from. Check
out the local area website here.